Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Vertical Gardens - Airplane plant

A good candidate to add to your vertical garden wall will be airplane plant or spider plant. The scientific name is Chlorophytum comosum.

You can propagate the spider plant easily. The plant is called airplane plant because it sends out babies or pups hanging from the mother plant. The babies looked like airplanes.

Airplane plant in hanging pot
Airplane plant in hanging pot

The pups can be rooted easily when planted into the soil. The success rate is very high. I had the opportunity to get one pup from a friend and after a couple of months, I have many airplane plants. They grow very well and can tolerate little water and different grow media.

The airplane plant can help to purified the air if it is grown indoors. It is known to reduce indoor air pollution in the form of formaldehyde. I will grow some to plant indoor as a hanging pot. Another thing about this plant is that it doesn't require much sunlight. I have placed it near the balcony windows but not in direct sunlight and in fact, during March to September, there is no sunlight coming into my balconies.

When some plants died in my vertical garden wall, I will replace them with other plants. I didn't buy any plant now because I can propagate easily the plants that I have. When some plants didn't do well in the vertical garden wall, I can move them to the hanging containers near the edge of the balcony so that the plants can capture bright light to grow.

Airplane plant on the vertical garden wall
Airplane plant on the vertical garden wall

So, the airplane plant is ideal for the vertical garden wall as well as an indoor plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment